Earth Overshoot’s Community Outreach
Connecting The Dots of Our Ecological Footprint
Earth Overshoot is a nonprofit working to educate the public about the relationship between consumption, unsustainable global population growth and the degradation of our planet. We do so in a variety of ways, each of which helps us confront the centuries of social, governmental and economic obstacles that have prevented us from acknowledging our human impact crisis. Here are some of the ways Earth Overshoot is helping communities understand and address the causes and a path to a sustainable future.
Training Local Leaders and Overshoot Activists to Engage Their Communities.
Local Chapters: Our “boots-on-the-ground” Chapter Leaders are given the tools and information they need to give presentations, speak at local and regional events and advocate for important environmental causes affecting their community. We provide information online as well as face-to-face training via teleconference to ensure all of our leaders are equipped with the information they need to take action in their communities.
Educating Citizens on the Adverse Effects of Overshoot
Earth Overshoot is all around you. We travel the country and the world to give educational presentations at conferences, town halls, schools and civic organizations to ensure sustainability remains central to the discussion as we define the human impact crisis and what it entails.
Pushing Governmental Leaders Toward Positive Change.
We work to ensure leaders of governments from around the world have the information and tools they need to assess what level of population makes their country’s current economic activity sustainable, giving them a better idea of the work they’ll need to do to ensure balance between their consumption, their population size and the healthy biodiversity of their country.
As part of that effort, we provide lawmakers and private citizens with ideas that can be implemented on a family, local, state or federal level to create meaningful change. Here are some examples of personal and legislative actions proposed by Earth Overshoot:
- Make a pledge to adopt a small family ethic by having one or fewer children
- Choose adoption when building a family.
- Encourage friends to consider having a smaller family when determining family size.
- Support the adoption of a carbon fee and dividend which accurately reflects the environmental cost we’re paying for our continued use of fossil fuels. (which rewards those who decrease their reliance on fossil fuels)
- Encourage elected representatives to support Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR) Initiatives.
- Support and fund organizations which promote access to family planning, girls’ education and women’s empowerment. Contact your elected representatives and those representing your country in international bodies to register your support.
- Support measures that slow unsustainable population growth (e.g. increased education and access to birth control, etc.). Let your elected representatives and those representing your country abroad know that you expect them to enact sustainable policies that will actually improve human well being and restore the natural world.
Witness the Dramatic Effects of Overpopulation and Gain Hope for the Future by Screening the Documentary 8 Billion Angels.
8 Billion Angels, Earth Overshoot’s feature documentary, dispels rumor, misinformation and social taboos surrounding the issue of overpopulation by showing firsthand the people and places affected by the unsustainable growth of humanity. Learn more about the documentary and host a local screening by visiting 8billionangels.org.
Read more about the impacts of unsustainable population growth in this recent report by the United Nations. Then, help Earth Overshoot spread our message of improving human health and the natural world by donating or volunteering.